View Single Post
kidkair 03:23 PM 12-06-2010
I'd tell mom that she should read Potty training in 3 days before she does any more training with him at all! All she's doing is hindering him not helping him. I have a 2 1/2 year old boy as well and mom says she doesn't think he's ready. I think he'd get it but I cannot watch him and help him as needed since I have 3 other kids here. I told mom to just let me know when he starts going at home and then we'll start here.

We use a potty chart that has the kid go step by step and they get positive reinforcement for completing every step. In the begining it helps them gain interest and eventually fully integrates potty time into their schedule. I gave mom the chart and told her to use it so he's used to it when we start it here.

I have a 23 month old who potty trained last month and has very few accidents. Her parents didn't push hard at all. We started using the chart when she was about 20 months old. We asked her every time it was time to change her if she wanted to use the potty and when the answer was yes more often than no we switched her to pull ups and talked to her about telling us she needed to go and about keeping her pull ups dry. When she held out for the potty more often than not we changed to cloth. She had about 15 accidents the first day, 3 the second, and 0 the third. She repeated this pattern and then maintained 0 for quite awhile. She still has accidents but they are so far apart. Her main issue was BMs but she finally told me last week (her third week of cloth) and we had a party! The BM thing was mainly because she loved her dad's reaction and would try hard to save it for him.