View Single Post
sahm2three 09:49 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
Mac 60 didnt mention anything about spanking. I think you are jumping to conclusions a bit. She said children are lacking discipline. Discipline is not spanking, its concequences for your actions, and learning respect. In the dictionary it is described as "punishment, instruction, traingin that corrects, molds or perfects the mental faculties or moral character, control gained by enforcing obedience or order".
There are many forms of discipline that do not involve spanking, or time outs, or re-direction.
I completely agree with her post. Children today lack discipline, respect and consequences. They know they can get away with whatever they want, because they know nothing will happen to them.

In my home if a child hits, then he is removed from the other children and not allowed to participate in the fun we are having. My child misbehaved at school, and he had to write an apology to his teacher, then lost all his tv/video game/ outside playtime for the weeked. If a child isnt sharing toys, then the toy he isnt sharing is removed and he no longer has that toy to play with. If a child refuses to put on his shoes (6 years old), then he gets to walk to the bus stop without shoes, and his feet get cold. If a child throws a fit because he got a blue lollipop, and he wanted a red one, then he doesnt get a lollipop at all, and gets to watch his friends eat them while he has none.

Its about consequences, and learning what happens when you misbehave. Just last night I saw a child, about 3 throwing a huge knock down drag out hissy fit in Mcdonalds because he didnt like the toy he got in his happy meal. He was yelling, screaming and throwing himself on the floor. Guess what mom did, went up to the counter and asked for a different toy. Guess what that taught that boy. That if he acts like that, he gets what he wants.

Parents are so afraid to say no, to deprive their kids, or just too tired to deal with it. They need to be firm, and consistant.