View Single Post
MrsB 12:46 PM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I am a firm believer in consequences. My kids all know how much I love them. But they also know that I stand NO nonsense.

I rarely use time out because I find 99% of the time it's useless.

Had one child who hit a buddy who then snitched on him. He did his 3 minutes in time out......then went back in the playroom and hit the victim twice as hard for snitching. Three more minutes. He wasn't bothered in the slightest and it taught him absolutely NOTHING.

But make him lose his art project that afternoon? THAT got his attention.

I'm with Mac60 100% on this one.

Nobody (including Mac!) says you have to beat a child to a pulp to discipline them! But kids today are waaaaaay under-disciplined. Of course you have the odd few who respond to time out and are little angels...but step back and look at kids as a whole and it's OBVIOUS that that approach doesn't work most of the time.

Each generation gets worse as each generation of parents are told that looking wrong at Princess will hurt her feelings......
I'm with Mac60 on the lack of discipline being a HUGE part of the issue too!

I will even go as far to tell you that I have on a few occasions spanked my own kids. Mostly because I told them that is what their punishment was going to be and I had to follow thru!

I am just wanting to point out that the cause of lack of discipline doesnt have anything to do with physical punishments being allowed in schools or by daycare providers. Which is what she inferred.