View Single Post
professionalmom 05:53 AM 07-09-2010
Ok, in defense of the OP saying she has 17 kids, did she say that all 17 are there AT THE SAME TIME? Although I am licensed for up to 6 (my own count into those numbers UNLESS DH is home to tend to our children), but I can have have more if they are at different times. For example, lets say I have 5 DCKs from 6am - 3pm and 5 DCKs for 3:30p - midnight. Then I would have 10 DCKs. That's not counting if some of those are part-timers. For instance if 1 kid is here 6am - noon, then another from 12:30 - 4:30pm, then a 3rd from 5pm - 10pm, that's 3 DCKs but none of them are at the same time, so it really only counts as 1 child on my ratios.

As for whether licensed or unlicensed is better, that is simply a difference of opinion. However, if a provider is licensed, that means that her (or his) home has been inspected for safety, background checks have been made, CPR & First Aid certifications are in place, and training is required. This DOES add an extra level of protection. I agree it's a joke that they only inspection when you initially file and maybe, at best, upon renewal or once a year. It's not a huge level of protection, but it IS better than no protection. Plus, the point of having a licensing agency is it TRY to ensure the safety of children. They inspect to make sure the provider is not living in a run-down, falling apart home, with paint peeling off the walls, etc. They make sure that there is a fire extinguisher. Even if that extinguisher expires after the inspection, at least there was/is one. Without a licensing inspection, there's no one to confirm that one is present.

It is SO true that a license is NOT a guarantee. It's not meant to be. It is merely an extra level of protection for the children in care.

I have only been inspected during the initial licensing. But the Food Program Rep comes in 4 times a year and she is a mandated reporter like we are. So, I consider her visits a form of inspection, because if I'm not doing my job right or getting lax on things, she can turn me in. Plus, I have had DC kids who were involved in family issues where social workers would drop-off or pick-up. Again, mandated reporters, so I have to be on guard at all times.

As for not answering the door. I don't answer my door UNLESS I KNOW it is someone safe. You just never know in this day and age. I would demand that a state agent go to one of my windows (I don't have peep holes) and hold up their IDs. Then I call the agency to verify their identity. I may sound paranoid, but the safety of the children comes first here.

As for telling the OP to continue and just ignore the state when they come to the door, that is just crazy. They will be watching her. Plus, whoever turned her in will report her again. Plus, since she has been shut down and the state is already involved, that would be a second offense. I don't know what the laws are in the various states, but this could result in criminal actions against her. Then with a "child endangerment" on her record, she would permanently lose her ability to get a license in the future.

My advice: Do what the other posters have said about getting the paperwork, for getting the license, going ASAP. Ask, or beg, the licensing agency to let you operate on a provision license while awaiting the regular license. Have your clients write letters of recommendation that you can submit to the licensing agency to support your request. Make sure they (the letters of recommendation) state how great you are as a provider and what a hardship this closure is to you, and especially to them (the clients). That's a lot of families that just lost their provider and need to take time off work to find alternate care immediately, possibly putting their jobs in jeopardy, which could result in even more families on aid. Explain that by shutting you down and not allowing a provisional or temporary license, they would be creating an even bigger community problem. Just a thought.

Lastly, I do not condone that fact that you knowingly broke the law, I really feel for you and your situation. I will keep you, your family, and your DC families in my prayers. Keep us posted. I'm sending hugs your way.

Michael - we need a "hug" smilie. Can we get one on here for situations where we want to "hug" someone?