Thread: Milk
View Single Post
Cat Herder 08:01 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here.... it's considered "forcing" and we are not allowed to force a child to do anything.

We can encourage but not force.
It is one of those things that get newer providers in trouble around here. Most are not told it is no longer allowed until they get cited for it, it is assumed they already know (most learned it from their own childcare providers). Once upon a time it was considered "good parenting" but now is recognized to have been at the root of many long term food issues.

Many providers think they are doing good by the child by having them try new things. It has caused a lot of issues with QRIS, here. Die hard "no thank you helping" fans can be fired without notice because it is easier to replace than retrain , "at will" state.

I do new food tasting during circle times. I approach it as for fun only. I go first and leave one sample per child for them to poke, sniff, squish and taste. Some only like what I like, some only like what I don't, I play to the crowd. I think it has become one of my favorite parts of the week. I am doing Rambutan again this week. I did it 6 months ago and it was hysterical. A couple were named and released back into the wild. It was awesome.