View Single Post
jen 07:44 AM 05-16-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
That's really rough imo. Stuff happens. I'll stick with late fees and save the reporting the parents for abandonment when I believe they may have actually abandoned their children. Over 30 minutes is inconsiderate and may be very inconvenient for us, but late fees and termination do the job just fine.

Now I had a father drop his sons off once in the afternoon and say I'll be back tonight after a business dinner. He didn't come back until a day and a half later. He was one of my first jobs, so I didn't know what to do and just sat there and worried, but knowing what I know now I would've started with a call to the police/hospitals to try to figure out what happened to him and then yes reported him if I could not find him. 30 minutes to an hour late though? No way. Rude yes. Abandonment no.

And letting them know you could report them for abandonment isn't likely to build a good rapport either. And if they decide to return the favor? Have you ever had SS called on you without a legitimate reason? These are NOT people you should be reporting to lightly. They can make a family's life a living hell, not just the parents but the children as well. Not all of them are good people. Speaking from experience there. I back up my own policies without leaning on threatening to call the "authorities" on them.
I completely hear what you are saying and I can't say I would be likely to contact the authorities either...however, when my son went to a center they had the same policy. $1 per minute up to 60 minutes, then they called the sheriff.