View Single Post
Familycare71 05:50 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I agree 100%. Most all day at my house is free play or slightly structured play. I don't have a curriculum, and I never will. I am not a preschool-my kids leave here for 3-4 hours of preschool during the day, but I don't do it. I wouldn't want it, either.

My firm belief is that kids are over scheduled and over structured-I WANT my kids to play all day: go outside and get dirty, build forts out of couch cushions, collect bugs, make mud pies, and stack my Tupperware up to the ceiling. They DO learn from free play, and I believe they learn so much more from it. We DO talk colors, letters, numbers at my house. We DO read. But I think they are learning all day long from exploring and asking questions (and we all know that we probably, literally, answer 1000 questions a day on some days!

I'm not criticizing you, and I know that many parents want 100% adult driven activities, but if you want a little Stepford child, you're talking to the wrong provider.

I'd tell Mom that kids need to learn how to fill their time on their own. THIS is what gives them the skills to be leaders in the real world when they grow up.
It is SO nice to hear someone else believe this!!! Sometimes I feel like I'm "being lazy" or not guiding enough but I believe 13 years of school is plenty! Kids NEED to play and explore!! I also use "teachable" moments but I don't want to direct them every moment- I want them to explore and learn how to be good friends!!