View Single Post
Unregistered 07:58 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
The PP said she puts her child to bed at 10 when he has a nap, not me. If she cannot get her kid to go to bed at an earlier time, that is not my problem. My almost 4 year old takes about a 2 hour nap everyday and is still in bed by 8:30. It is called parenting. Making a child skip a nap they NEED so you can get them to bed at 8 after not seeing them all day is pretty ludicrous to me. And ten is not that late, imo. If they get up at 7, that is 9 hours, plus a 2 hour nap and they are right on par with the amount of sleep a young child needs. Easy Peasy!
=================================================
Sorry I disagree. Parenting is not about following what some book says about what an average kid should be doing. It's about knowing your own child and what they need. Lucky for you you have a child that naps well and also sleeps well at night. That makes you lucky, not necessarily a better parent than anyone else.
I know my child. She needs 10 hours of sleep at night, and a 30 minute nap. When she gets that, she is an angel. Why do I have to fight my daycare to ensure she only naps for 30 minutes? If THEY let her sleep longer, it is less healthy for her as she won't get a good sleep at night. The the vicious cycle ensues (tired during day--long nap--won't sleep at night). The onus is on the daycare to follow what the child needs, and if the parent knows they need less sleep the daycare should respect that. They are harming my child by letting her nap too long!!