Thread: Injury Policy?
View Single Post
misol 09:47 AM 11-08-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
How old is this child? Has this child been in daycare before or gone to a preschool before? If you can, I would ask for their contact information (name/number) and call and see how that child was in their care. I know people have done this when they get children who were kicked out from another daycare to get the right facts before enrolling them. I would find that acceptable. Chances are though they will tell you it has just been family watching the child and I wouldn't want to rock that boat.

Can you ask for the child's Dr's name and number and ask what exactly the child's condition is? It might make you feel better. Just be honest with the parent and tell them that you would feel more comfortable asking the child's Dr. a few questions. If you do feel the child is not the right fit, don't feel bad to do the general "Your child will not be a good fit for our daycare" because it could be the needed hours, days, age, etc. Don't focus so much on the fragile part. Maybe he came from a rough daycare and got pushed around a lot, etc, and if your age group and kids are calmer it will be fine. Have you asked the parents what has happened to him to far to get hurt, what injuries he has already had, and if he was diagnosed with anything???? Make sure to get the facts. It is your right to know as his provider.

I think that this is good advice. Even after you talk to the doctor, I would still ask the doctor for something in writing stating what (if anything)the child has been diagnosed with and what can be done so as not to exacerbate her condition. If the Dr. won't give anything have the parents give you something in writing regarding her being fragile and what steps they would like you to take to prevent injury. At least if something were to happen, you have it documented that the child is prone to broken bones, etc. Personally, I would keep interviewing until I found a better fit.

My contract states that parents assume financial responsiblility for all injuries or illnesses sustained while in my care. Whether you have liability insurance or not, wouldn't the parents still have to prove that you were somehow negligent? I would think that this is where having a doctor's note would work in your favor (unless, of course, the provider was truly negligent).