View Single Post
Thriftylady 11:08 AM 01-10-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for your reply! I completely understand everything you've stated. I thought maybe she wasn't getting back to us because it's the weekend too but then again she just opened her daycare for kids the week of our interview and she only has 1 child and a child of her own, so it's literally brand new. But what you're saying could still be the reason why she hasn't responded but it would've been nice to know she wouldn't get back to us until Monday, even though we were looking to start care as soon as Tuesday that's why I'm mostly being persistent and also because we had another lady we interviewed requesting an update and I wanted to let her know we found someone, if that was the case.

As far as the napping goes, if he is tired enough I'm sure he would fall asleep but it would just make it little harder because she said she would have the older kids (two 3 year olds) laying down as well in the same area possibly with a little tv on in the background. I think that would distract him a lot more than being in a quiet room alone. It was actually her suggestion to put him in another room w/the monitor. It wasn't as if I specifically requested that.

My 3 year old turned 3 in August. He is not potty trained and we've not been actively training him. However, she said she would assist us
(again her suggestion) as long as we are following through at home and we had an agreement to that. He also has a speech delay. But he says enough words to be able to understand his needs and wants.

Now the dog issue, we didn't know she had a dog prior to approaching her home and hearing him barking in the yard. We didn't ask in the initial conversation, so that could certainly be our fault. As we're touring her home she shows us the backyard and mentions her dog. He's a larger dog, but she said he was really friendly and he loves being around the kids. So to me I interpreted that as if she planned to have him around the kids. I told her that they've been around a dog before because their grandparents have a smaller dog at their house and they're the ones that usually care for them during the day when we're working. There was no further discussion about this. I'm personally not a fan of dogs, because they make me uncomfortable so I think my fear was mostly for myself. Would I prefer a DCP that didn't have pets? Absolutely. But it wasn't a deal breaker at all.
Waiting so long to interview and wanting to start care pretty much right away is an issue. I always tell parents to leave themselves plenty of time. IF I decide to take you on, we have to have second paperwork interview and I need full payment of enrollment fee, the first week and at least a payment arrangement of the deposit BEFORE you start.

The potty training and the nap issues with me would be a deal breaker. "it would just be a little harder" is unacceptable to me at nap time. I would try it, but if it didn't work out would soon term.

The fact you have not began potty training at three would make me not offer a spot unless said child had some kind of liability preventing it. I would expect that by three a parent is actively working on this.

Also your "being persistent" would make me see you as a high maintenance parent. That is the kind I try to avoid. Even being a new daycare, you can't expect your provider to work seven days per week, nor do you want her to, she needs rest and downtime to be a good provider.

ETA: Also remember that just because it is the weekend and she may not have children in care doesn't mean she isn't spending part of that time on work that has to be done also. I know today I have spent time cleaning, prepping meals for the week (things are ready to put together so I have more time with the kids when they are here), and spending some time with my daughter and my truck driving husband while he is on his 34 hours of home time. Please remember that there is more to a providers job than just minding the children.