View Single Post
Mike 08:43 PM 08-13-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
If the cost is "significant" you don't have to provide the care. What is "significant" is subject to interpretation, but I think that a few hundreds dollars a week would be significant. Then, you can tell the parent that the solution would cost you a significant amount of money and you can't provider the care.
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
If what it would take to do this will create a significant difficulty or expense, you don’t have to provide care and you can terminate the child
Significant ???
I don't even do daycare yet and I know it's not a high income business. Many of you care for several children just to make a decent income. If $100/week wasn't considered significant, that's $430/month lost which is a good chunk of money. What if you have 6 children and 3 of them each cost $80/m? That's just over $1000/m and that would shut down any home daycares.

I think it's nice that ADA wants to protect the children, and many of you know me enough to know that I really mean that, but a business is for one purpose, to make money to live off of. I think that in any business, if a client was going to cost you money, it should be your choice if you want that client and/or want to charge them extra to cover the cost. That's not the case though, in other businesses as well. Many legitimate businesses have actually failed due to government regulations.

The problem is, there are 2 ways to look at it.

From the business side, main priority is to make money, so regulations that force a business to do something that could even make them lose money are just plain dumb.

From the other side, if the regulations didn't exist, a lot of people would never be able to get services, or even products, they need.

Just one of the many negatives of self-employment, and why not everyone can do it. Running a business is very intense work, and not the same as a simple 9-5 job. Many businesses don't even make minumum wage.