View Single Post
Daycare Mommy 03:20 AM 05-18-2010
My response (and most of the responses here, I think) are directed at the first post where it sounded like you had completely closed down your daycare 5 times in 4 1/2 months and you asked what was normal. If you are giving parent's the option to come then that is not so bad. Since I had my own kids, I've had to do that sometimes many times a year depending on the amount of illness that comes through. You can only help that but so much by cleaning, handwashing, and excluding sick children.

And I'm not sure how you do it, but I don't call anyone but the sick child's parent if someone gets sick during daycare hours unless it's my own children that are sick AND I can't keep them separated or it's something bad like a stomach flu. I immediately separate the sick child, clean and sanitize everything he's played with or been around (while the others are doing an activity away from that area) They've already been exposed by playing with him all morning. You've sanitized the house, the sick one gets picked up asap (or if it's mine moved to the back of the house which is nowhere near the daycare area), so the danger is gone. The damage, if any, is done and there's nothing else to be lost by keeping the others once he's gone. I do tell the parents at pick up time though so they can watch for any symptoms should their child come down with it. Honestly I'd go broke if every time I, my kids, husband, and any of the daycare kids were sick families pulled their kid and went elsewhere without paying me. If it's me or my kids that are ill, I give them that option, but I just couldn't stay in business not getting paid for everyone's illnesses. It's daycare. Kids get sick. We shouldn't have to take the hit every time.