View Single Post
adla 11:44 AM 12-13-2010
I really don't think it's a good idea to place a GPS device on a normal functioning child. It takes away a large level of their independence as they grow older, and who knows what sort of psychological damage or distrust of authority that can lead to?

I might understand putting it on smaller children who have to walk themselves to bus stops and things like that, but GPS tracking devices should steer clear of mature children who are able to think for themselves. I'd say anyone after 7 shouldn't have to wear a GPS device at all.

The only exception to this rule, I think, is when your child has a cognitive disorder like autism or Down's. In these instances, it may be difficult to constantly watch over a child who is prone to unpredictable behavioral patterns, and for these children, an extra level of safety might just be the smartest thing to do.

In these instances, I would recommend a GPS device like the one offered by It comes with an anti-tamper feature that will ensure the safety of your special needs child to the point where you can rest easily. But if your child is normal functioning and wants to go hand out with friends, you shouldn't feel the need to keep an eye on him or her at all times.

That's just cruel and irresponsible.