View Single Post
PitterPatter 06:40 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I dont understand why parents hang out like they do. Maybe you could try some sugar.
DCP sits on seat of couch.
You say, "Why dont I get you a chair to sit on," make a big deal about getting the chair. "Excuse me (child's name) I need to get a chair for (DCP) then I can help you with your puzzle."
After you present the chair, find a child or something else that needs to be taken care of in another room, or go to the bathroom . Perhaps she/he will feel uncomfortable sitting there alone.

With the snot and blinds I would say something in front of the parent, such as, "Child's name, please do not play with the blinds I dont want them to break." If child keeps playing and parent does nothing then say, "Do you have blinds at home? Is he allowed to play with them?" Say it all with a smile.

I am the most stubborn, hate to fake a smile type of gal but I have found that I can get most everything I want, my way, if I put some sugar on it.
Is there a trick to this because I have genuinely tried to smile sometimes and I can't. I can feel it coming across my face as fake/forced. I try really hard to be nice and polite when I have to give a bad report. Usually it's something that has me upset so I just can't smile. Maybe it just feels fake? I will have to practice in the mirror.