View Single Post
professionalmom 05:46 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
Sadly, yes, it is becoming the norm.

Should it be the "norm"? NO!

Is the "norm" always the "right"? NO!

Do their kids pick up on this? YES!

Will their kids grow up to understand that their parents really didn't want to spend time with them? YES!

Is this selfish parenting? ABSOLUTELY!

Am I judgemental? YOU BETCHA! ((but someone needs to speak up for those little people who can't while mommy and daddy lolligag off to Lord knows what after dumping them in daycare all day))
Tell it like it is SISTER!! I agree!! I have seen single moms, where dad is NOT is the picture at all, have their kids in daycare for 50-70 hours a week, every week. Then the mom thinks she "deserves" a week off to fly off to God knows where while leaving the kid(s) with grandma.

Now, I am going to brag! My DD will be 2 on Friday. She has spent no more than a grand total of 180 hours away from me in her entire LIFE! 40 of those hours were with grandma A while I took care of grandma B following major surgery. 8 of those hours were when I recertified for CPR and First Aid (grandma A babysat again). All the rest were for periods of less than 4 hours (usually 1 hour) while I made quick runs to the store, bank, or doctor (daddy stayed with her). Only about 3-4 of those times were for "date nights" with DH. Oh, and most of these short separations occurred when she was asleep. But once the twins are born and around 4 or 5 years old, we might let my in-laws (grandma & step-grandpa) take the kids to their lakehouse for a week or so in the summer - MAYBE. But DH & I intend that vacations will almost always be family vacations. Especially since we may homeschool and use vacations as learning trips - like to the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Washington DC, etc.