View Single Post
Josiegirl 02:41 AM 11-05-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So my baby just started daycare and the provider said in interview that she doesn't take a lot of time off but I just got the papers and there's 12 holidays (didn't think Black Friday was a holiday but it is at daycare) and 3 weeks vacation and 7 personal days and 7 sick days ... is this normal??
What's normal for 1 dc or center may not be normal for another place so that's hard to say. But I am surprised you didn't get that information before you completed your enrollment because for some I can see how that could be a deciding factor.
For myself(in-home dc)I take off 7 holidays(and yes Black Friday is included in that list though it's not technically a holiday but it's a given every year). I don't usually take personal or sick days unless it's an emergency(life happens). As far as vacation time, that can change year to year. The past few years I've taken the week of Christmas and reopened Jan. 2nd. so that actually comprises 2 of the holidays. Occasionally I'll take an extra day during the year to create a long weekend.
Every provider is different. If you're not happy with their rules, either don't enroll(which it doesn't sound like you knew beforehand) or look somewhere else and give notice.
This is a very difficult business from both sides, as far as individual needs, expectations; being a child care provider(as in any provider role it seems) can be a very high burn-out profession and taking care of yourself is extremely important.