View Single Post
nannyde 07:33 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I totally agree! They know we can't do anything about it, so they misbehave and do whatever they want. Especially the more willful children can withstand any consequence, loss of priveledges, etc. If they want to do it, or think they can get a rise out of someone, they'll do it and think the consequence was well worth it. Besides, how bad could the consequence be, anyway? It's daycare, and in daycare it's illegal to do anything. And best practices state that redirection is the key to everything. Punishment should not be used (seriously, they really do say that. I took a CDA class and they talked about that. It was really discouraging... it's all about making the child feel in control, so that you won't hurt their self-esteem, etc).
I don't agree with using distraction for discipline. It's actually the worst approach you could use other than getting physical with a kid.

Distraction should ONLY be used when you are needing a kid to do something that is really good for them (like giving medicine, removing a splinter, starting an I.V., icing a head bump, giving a breathing treatment etc.). In those situations you can do a dog and pony show as far as I'm cocerned.

If it is a consequence for a behavior and you are offering them a deal that is either equal to or better than what they were doing in the first place then it is a REWARD. Rewards reinforce bad behavior.

The concept of distraction has been added in because people see that it works to get them to stop crying BUT it's value lasts as long as the destraction.. it has no value beyond that and is actually harmful if you are trying to imprint into their little brains that the bad behavior is actually bad.

They shouldn't NET self esteem in a consequence. They should net "I can't do that again.... it was wrong". Once they GET that then acting on that in the future is what adds a brick to the wall of confidence and self esteem.

Bottom line it's just like the minute of time out for each age of life. It's useless and actually escalates kids. It gives them permission to continue misbehaving.

Take the NO and then your reward you get is to do what you were supposed to be doing in the first place.