View Single Post
Unregistered 11:03 AM 03-01-2011
I think that sometimes eating is a control issue for kids. It's one of the only things that they get to be in control of and some kids will definitely do whatever they need to do to be in charge of something in their lives. I think it's that way with toilet training as well.

I know that doesn't make it any less concerning, but it's just something to think about. Also, some kids learn at very young ages that if they don't like the food that they are being served, they can get food that they DO like by either not eating the food or throwing a tantrum. I think that the important thing will be remaining consistent with giving him the time to eat and then if he chooses not to eat, taking his plate away and calling it good. You can't make him eat if he's not willing to eat. I think that a lot of kids these days are grazers and that affects the way that they eat at daycare.

I know that it stinks being in the position of being a provider to a child who doesn't want to eat, but it happens and when it does, it's best to stick to your guns and only offer food at the designated meal times. If he chooses not to eat and you've offered him the food, then you've done your part.