View Single Post
Willow 07:44 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
Here's my take on it. I think the programs shoud be offered for a short period of time or under certain circumstances. A few years ago my husband was laid off from a very high paying job. At the time I was not working because I didn't have to. We were left with no income. We went to a local christian charity for food, and they offered financial counseling. At our first meeting we discussed what our financial problems were, and made a plan. The plan included ways we could improve our finances, and where we were going to be financially in 3months when the charity would no longer be assisting us. My husband's goals were obviously to find another high paying job, and my goals were to find a well paying part time job and reasonable childcare accomidations. They checked in with us each month to see what we were doing to obtain those goals, and where we were on our journey. At the end of the 3 months they stopped helping us with our bills and food and we were financially independent again. In a Nutshell. We have provided for ourselves very well ever since. It only took 3 months of help. I will forever have a respect for christian charities and would gladly volunteer my time to pay it foward. Everytime I go to the grocery store I buy a bag of charity groceries because I am able to give back. If we are going to have government programs such as foodstamps etc. they should be set up similarly to this charity. What have you done this month to become more financialy independent? What have you done to make sure that you and your children won't starve at the end of these 3 months?
I've never had foodstamps, only this 3 month period of assistance. I am proud of you all for working as hard as you have. I also understand that there are times when people accept help with the intent of working their butts off and paying it foward to someone else.

I got financial counseling from Lutheran Social Services, and I'm not even Lutheran! Made me smart about my money, instead of just dependent on others.

You teach a man to fish as opposed to just giving him one and the results will be night and day!

Maybe would be a good idea if there isn't just a cap but some mandatory budget counseling that would go along with any government obtained assistance?