View Single Post
Meli3773 06:23 AM 12-05-2014
I have also found that little ones don't know how to "play". It seems that they are getting constant undivided attention from their parents. With my own children, I bought them educational toys, I showed them how to use them, and played with them. BUT, if I needed to get things done then they knew I expected them to play and entertain themselves. I taught them how to do this. It saves your sanity! I know all children are different, so I don't expect the same thing out of each one but it's still best to teach them these skills.

My DC kids are all only children, so they do get extra attention it seems. I have a 2 1/2 yr old that is constantly saying "look at (this or that)"! I get the impression they must praise every little thing he does. And my 18 month old girl would rather just sit on your lap and do nothing just to get attention rather than play. I know for a fact the she is not starved for attention. This DCM has told me multiple times "I just want her happy" so this little girl basically gets everything she wants. I feel bad because I feel like I'm the one who has to give them tough love. I'm constantly telling all the kids to go play. I try to be honest with the parents and let them know what how their child's day went and what would help make their child happier here in hopes that they will make some changes. It's really difficult and it feels like you are fighting an uphill battle.