View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 07-25-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I just don't think an employer should have that much control over you. I mean would we tell a doctor or nurse that they couldn't work if they had a health issue? What if they were over or under weight? Would we tell a teacher they couldn't teach if they took extra classes while teaching and failed one? Would we tell a police officer if they ever got a ticket they would be fired? Where does it end?
How do any of those things effect the public?

The other rules have a direct impact on the public or the clients served.

If my Dr is overweight he can still provide medical attention.

If my pilot is hung over and/or possibly over the legal limit after a night of drinking, I am sure my flight would be a bit scary...

If my teacher failed a class, it would have no impact on the things she did pass and is teaching her students.

If a daycare provider allowed her weekend guests to smoke on daycare property, the children that attended the following week would be exposed to allergens and possibly second/third hand smoke as well as maybe having access to cigarette butts that were discarded.

MANY people have lost their jobs over choices they made on their personal time....

Where do we draw the line? By giving people choices.

You get to choose what profession you go into and with that choice comes guidelines, rules, rights and privileges.

If you don't agree with them, you still get a choice.
Abide by the rules, lobby to change the rules, don't go into that profession or even choose to go into that profession and disregard the rules.

No matter what choice you make, there are consequences.

It's kind of the way life works.