View Single Post
CheekyChick 03:56 PM 09-26-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
I have so much competition in my area and a lot of families are well to do so childcare options are infinite. Au pairs are getting popular because they are "cheap" childcare, basically families with multiple children benefit(how I have no idea). Lots of families get nannies but really try to do nanny shares to cut their costs (why, they have money?) There are a lot of centers in my area and language immersion is highly popular (again expensive but the families feel like they are getting extra care) although a lot of them have been cited for being over ratio.

Not to mention, there seems to be a lot of families who only want part time care. I am curious how to charge, as the fact that most of them want varying 1-3 days per week which means I don't have income to count on. Anyone who knows my story will know I can bet on that. Anyone looking for full time thinks I'm too expensive which is silly because I was the cheapest last year. Something has shifted in my area and those are the ideas I have.

I also don't have an ideal daycare space, and needless to say no income to add space. I'm this close to converting my whole living space into daycare and just having my bedroom be my only room. Which is sad, that's a huge sacrifice for me and my son. It seems no one is pleased with my space when they come interview, which has really made me not want to invite anyone in my home because I'm embarrassed from the last couple who made rude comments i.e. This is it?
I went through the same thing. First, I only used my bonus room and dining room. Then, my living room was gone. Then, my bedroom turned into the cubby room. After that, my daughters bedrooms turned into the infant rooms. We have a tiny living space between us and it has worked out great. When people come for a tour - they are SHOCKED to learn that anyone lives here - it is head-to-toe child care. I can send you photos (privately) if you'd like. My advice to you, is GO BIG or go home. Make that next step and make your business work for you. You can't do that with only one toe in.