View Single Post
nannyde 06:21 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I used to have a dcm who washed her hands in my kitchen sink everyday, too. Despite the fact that she had to walk right past myathroom when she came in, she always made a beeline to the kitchen sink. Her pick up time fell right after our afternoon snack so usually, I had just cleared the table and the dishes and cups were still in the sink. In addition to the thought of all those germs grossing me out, there were days when the sink was full enough that the water from the faucet and her hands would rickashay off the plates and all over my countertop. She never seemed to even notice the mess she was making.

It bothered me but my son has ocd and it used to drive him absolutely crazy. It got to the point where he would offer to rinse the dishes and cups off for me so he'd have an excuse to block her from using the sink. She came in one day and actually had the nerve to ask him to move so she could wash her hands. While I've never encouraged my kids to be rude to anyone, much less a dcp, I had to work really hard at stifling a laugh when he told her, "There's a perfectly good sink in the bathroom if you want to use that."

As for the bathroom, I'm not thrilled when dc parents ask to use it but I can't imagine not allowing someone to use it if they have to go. Like Luna, I usually just warn them that they may have to flush first or watch for sprinkles on the seat.
I have heard of the insisting on using the kitchen sink. It is a dominance move.

Where is the heart of your home? The kitchen.

Where is the central part of that heart? The sink.

If they insist on taking over the kitchen sink they are putting themselves on top of the center of your home. They are taking over the single most important piece of real estate in the home.

They are showing you they are the top dog at that moment.

I don't allow parents in my kitchen. Nothing personal. I don't like anyone in it. Only exception is my helper who cleans the floors when she cleans the house.