View Single Post
theassistant 11:42 AM 05-23-2019
At our home daycare, we have 3 year old little boy who is very sweet, but he is very much behind in what he should know. He knows his ABCs, but can't identify the letters nor even the ones in his own name. This wouldn't be so bad, if his name wasn't two letters and basically initials (think CJ, though that's not it). He doesn't know any colors and only today, was he able to recgonize one shape. He struggles with counting as well.We go over it with him and are gentle, kind, but he really just doesn't seem to grasp it. He even has trouble identifying things in pictures. I had a picture of Goodnight Moon out and told him to tell me one of the things he saw. Not a specific shape or color, just anything. And he stared at it blankly. He's very talkative and loves playing, but when it comes to learning, he just can't seem to grasp it.

I think a big problem is, his mom doesn't work with him at home. We've tried talking to her about the fact that he doesn't know the letters in his name and that he's struggling, but she either ignores us or doesn't get what we're trying to say. Like when we brought up the name thing, she said "He knows his name." Well, yes, he knows it, but he can't spell it or recgonize the letters, even when his name is literally us saying two letters. She has two older kids that I know have also struggled in school from meeting them in the past and they didn't know much. She doesn't work, so she's home and can work with them on this stuff. You have to trust me that she just...doesn't care. 99% of parents talk about development and what they should be learning...she never does. Even when it came to potty training, she expected us to do most of the work and it took her awhile to realize that she had to follow through at home. (He is now completely potty trained.)

Is there a way to talk to her to get her to see that she needs to work with him? Any tips on how to talk to her? My boss is afraid she'll just pull him if we try to reccomend things and that's not what we want. We want him to continue learning, but we just feel at a loss here.