View Single Post
Hazel 07:56 AM 12-09-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
without disclosing my exact location for privacy purposes, i am in the north central part. i have gotten a few of my children back, but 6 doesn't compare to 17. my husband and adult son are home with me all day and we have many fun activities for the kids. they missed the pool this summer!
Whoooaaaaa! You had 17 kids? Am I reading that right!? No wonder you were turned in! In PA you can ONLY have 3 kids that are unrelated to you without a license! And related ONLY means kids or grand kids! Not nieces, not nephews, not cousins...
WITH a license you can only have up to 6!!!!
I am unlicensed in PA bc when I was a director of a center in the city, the regulation was 5 kids without a license. After I opened my FDC I found out they lowered it to 3 so I looked into getting a license and found out I had to close during the process which could take up to 3 months! As a single mom of a new baby, I couldn't do that! So I raised my prices and only take 3 kids (usually friends ask for after school care and I accept since our kids are friends, but Its only every now and then, so no biggie).
The parents I have are ok with the higher prices bc I have a very small group and one even said its more like a "nanny share" situation.
I would never take 17 kids! Ever! How the heck can you possibly handle that? God bless you for your patience! But that's not safe at all! Sorry! And I amanne of the few people that doesn't completely agree with licensing. I feel parents are the best judge and don't feel the states regulations always make sense. Like some states saying little babies can't be in a pack and play while awake.. Sorry, there is no way I can carry a baby around ALL day and still give quality one on one care to my other 2 kids. And laying them on a blanket on the floor is NOT safe when you have other kids playing there.
I tell ALL my parents that I am unlicensed and that I feel they are the best judge of my care and my setup. I have tons of references they can call and even suggest a morning visit to see how we do things here BEFORE they enroll!
My insurance agent knows what I do and has me covered with a $1,000,000 umbrella policy attached to my overly protected homeowners policy. I don't take the kids in my car, so no worries there! But seriously, if you were turned in once, it WILL happen again