View Single Post
daycare 03:59 PM 09-19-2014
I am ESL and when I learned I was taught by putting words on everything.

I had to take english in school, I did not attend traditional Islamic school, I went to British or westernized secular school. So I was taught at a very young age. MOst of my class was taught in arabic, but also english.

They taught me by placing the english words on everything even though I can not read. Every day we would play games. I recall playing a game with the stapler on the paper and we sang a chant in English. I can't recall the chant. I just recall a lot of singing in English in my early days and then later the more traditional by text book.

I don't teach my native tongue, but I do teach a lot of children to speak english. I play a lot of games like hiding objects (every day ones, like a cup, shoe, pants, shorts, etc) in a bag and then say Hey billy lets play a guessing game, I would use the parents to help you demonstrate first so that he can understand use his language first. Then when you pull out the item you say it in the language you want him to learn.

If it is a cup, then you say it in spanish it's a cup its a cup. let's get a drink in the cup....say it all in spanish.

I have been working with ESL kids for a very long time. they have actually helped me improve on my english.

I guess I would say that you would teach this second language just like you would teach a younger infant, running vocabulary of what you are doing, lots of toys, games and fun fun fun. of course in the language you are trying to teach.