View Single Post
Crystal 03:17 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Here's my two cents.

When I was teaching, my kids (3 and 11months at the time) were in this great daycare. She was so nice and flexible with my subbing schedule. I just loved her. Well, I got off early one day and called her to say I was coming early. I walked in the door two minutes later to see her beating my 11 month old son. Apparently she was rushing to get his diaper changed and he was wiggling and she snapped. I'm so glad I witnessed this, because what would have happened had I not seen it?!

So that makes me an advocate of dropping in unannounced (not a lot mind you, but come early one day). I can guarantee you'll see who your provider truly is. And that could be a good or bad thing. I don't treat it as an issue of trust, more just checking in if you're having doubts. Your suspicions will either be confirmed or put to rest.

I agree with other pp's in that a scheduled observation doesn't really give anyone an accurate depiction of how your daycare works. If you are a great judge of "true character" and can spot phonies, then that's awesome but I don't think a lot of people have that. Apparently I didn't!
Good example. I had my kids in THREE daycares within 6 months due to this type of thing. That is why I started my own daycare.