View Single Post
Miss Karena 03:38 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Ok I have a little boy who causes me stress. Now he is a sweet boy. Listens to me when I ask him something and doesn't cause problems with the other children. However, he is just not smart. Most of it is his parents fault. They will never help him live up to his potential and they actually hold him back from it. But he also just isn't a "smart kid"
Anyway, all my other kids are bright (even the ornery ones! lol) and I really enjoy teaching them and working with them but I feel with this one, whats the point? No matter what I do the parents will just undo it. So help me if you have ever run into this situation and how did you overcome it?
Keep in mind my weekend job is a home health nurse and I work with children with special needs. I can accept that but their parents care and at least try to help their child and do what is in the best interest of the child.
I agree that there were too many words used. Try going with him at the point of finishing up at the sink, and when you go out together say, "Leave the door open." After your out, give a little side hug and say "Thank you!" Go along side throught the day or when making requests at different trouble spots, and make simple commands while helping if necessary, and let him know thru different ways you value him; with hugs, winks, hi-fives, verbal praises... this may encourage him to respond to directions better. How long do you help him succeed this way? As long as you have him in your care.
Blessings!