View Single Post
Hunni Bee 08:33 PM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Ok...so I typed up a long answer, and my computer locked up and I lost it...arg

Basically, the PARENT does the questionare, we score it, meet with the parent, show them the results, and recommend calling________ if there is an indication of delay. They are done at 2m, 6m,12m,18m, 2y, 3, 4 & 5. In theory, they can take the report to their doctor and show them the scoring, or take it to birth-3 and show it to them.

One thing I like is that in the questions, the parent options are "usually", "sometimes" or "not yet", or something like that (don't have it in front of me). so it's less likely to freak anyone out. The parent's don't get the score sheet, just the question sheet.

The trainer suggested we make it part of our "orientation" process with new parents so that they are used to it, and take it in stride when we do follow-ups at the intervals above.

and no, at this point, they are not mentioning any kind of mandated reporting on this.
Its the ASQ? I have that. Thanks for reminding me, its time for me to do it for this year...

I did it last year...I agree with the principle, but I didn't see where it worked all that well. It's done by the parent, and kids I KNEW were behind were still marked as being on track or above. All I could do is score it.

For example, it asked something like "Can your child tell you his/her full name and age?" and the parent could mark "usually, not yet, etc.". A child who I knew didn't always RESPOND to their name were marked as "usually". I guess it's as unassuming as it can be, but it still encourages parents to try and get a "perfect score" rather than be honest about their child's abilities, kwim?

I still think it's helpful though, it does get the parent to focus on their child's development specifically.