View Single Post
Starburst 06:30 PM 05-11-2014
I don't think parent consent is required for a DRDP if they are enrolled in your program (after all, school teachers are required to do them); in my Observation & Assessment, Curriculum, and Student teaching classes we only had to get consent because we were sharing information with our teachers and peers (anonymously) but because most of the students who were employees at large centers or students who had to go to the school center to do it (outside party).

I would just let the parents know that you have decided to do them and that they will help you to better formulate the perfect curriculum to fit their child's needs and probably explain what it is, how you use it, why/how you think it will benefit their child, and that you will share the results with them in a conference.

I also plan on using a DRDP and here is what I would put (haven't added yet)

"As part of my personalized and unique curriculum for your child, I will be using a Desired Results Developmental Profile, also known as a DRDP, to document and measure their stages of development. This is a tool used by many educators to chart the progress of their students development and help them create more relevant curiculum. There are DRDPs for every developmental stage, I will use the one that best describes the developmental age of the child, example for my 3-5 year old I will be using the Preschooler addition. There is no 'perfect score', it's all based on the child's mastery of skills and helps me to see what level of development they are at for each category and which areas of development they need more support in. I am not trained to diagnose learning disabilities, developmental delays, or gifted abilities in children. I use this only for the purpose of creating your child's curriculum and sharing your child's progress with you. If you have concerns about your child's development, you are more than welcome to share the DRDP with your child's doctor but it is not to be used as a sole source for diagnosing delays, gifted abilities, or other special needs."