View Single Post
Chatter Box 08:25 PM 09-18-2013
So I have a child in my daycare that is 7.5 months old. I have been questioning his mother (I rarely see his father anymore) on when he will be starting baby food, oatmeal, ect... and she just keeps telling me that she's not concerned about it. There are days that I think he is fussier because he probably needs something with a little more sustenance than formula. He is a larger child...which also means he is getting what he needs I am sure but I just want to know is there anything that can come back on me if he is not eating regular foods by a certain time?

There has been twice since he started in I think April or May that I have had to ask her to bathe him because he smells. (He sweats profusely) to the point that my pack and play (with quilted sheets that are washed once a week) stinks. I have hosed it down and scrubbed it twice with bleach and lysol and it still smells.

Not to sound dramatic but I sincerely I feel like I need a shower every single time he has a dirty diaper. I have watched a lot of kids in my lifetime but never have I seen a child with diapers that messy, smelly and disgusting. He has always had very loose stools..which his doctor "insists is normal". I can smell it through a closed door down stairs a cross the house when he dirties his diaper during nap time.

When he was 18 lbs I had to ask her to stop bringing newborn diapers for him and then on top of it I had to ask them to stop bringing him wearing the new born diapers after the fact. He regularly has blow outs in diapers that are appropriate for his size and they gave me a hard time when I asked them to start getting him one size larger than his regular size (which works).

Several times they have brought him 3-4 days in a row wearing the same clothing. She has clothing in his bag I can change him into but I refuse to change his clothes every day for her since it is in my handbook they are supposed to bring him everyday in clean clothing.

It's honestly not that I feel by any means that they are neglecting him...a lot of these things are annoying yet a little trivial however I feel that they are just being very lazy about everything and I'm kind of tired of pushing them to parent. Not anything I feel is life threatening. He appears very healthy... he is very happy from what I can tell over all. Very smiley. He is very chunky...but he seems less satisfied. She has no interest what so ever in starting him on baby food and suggested that I just try to start feeding him regular food (if I want) but they aren't worried about it if not. They had no problem with that...which I obviously am not going to give him table food when he isn't even taking baby food.

So I guess I just want to know is when does this come back on me if I am letting them slide by on formula only? Is there a cut off I can talk to them about when I need to require more from them?

I don't understand it at all myself. I don't feel it is in his best interest to keep putting this off but I want to be able to say...this is what I am required to do.

They have an older child so they know the drill. There is just this weird feeling I get about them. I cannot put my finger on it but they are very short and aloof. They do not talk much. Been here about 6 months and I still barely know them. In and out... and don't really converse. They are nice but it's just this really weird. Like they don't care to know the person watching their child at all but at the same time she puts on this big show every time she leaves and every time she arrives about missing him. Which is great and I like seeing parents affectionate but it does feel like a show sometimes. Even my grandmother who is here frequently commented on how odd she feels around them... so I know it's not just me. Dad I have not seen except once in about 6 weeks. I don't know if they are together or not or what.

I have started keeping track of all the times he is coming in the same clothing. I've taken pictures of how dirty they are., ect.