View Single Post
Unregistered 12:15 PM 04-03-2014
Most parents see daycare as a business transaction. Service provided and paid for. It's so much more. There's a huge emotional attachment taking an infant all the way through to preschool years- you spend more time with that child than their own grandparents. I often find parents don't get it- but the children do! All the spintaneous I love yous and amazement in their eyes as they learn and laugh - it's a magical job! Look to the parents for payment - look to the children for appreciation !

In MA a curriculum is required for family childcare educators. Simply done I cover common core concepts in every theme and incorporate several themes per month. For example Arctic animals... Stories based on the Arctic, science with ice and water and small figures, polar bear math - matching numbers, polar bear hokey pokey- put your polar bear paws in, etc babies enjoy songs, poems movement (usually in my arms) and stories. Hopefully a am nap coincides with a messy table project- if not then its time for baby to enjoy sensory play in highchair- maybe "paint" with squash - safe if baby decides to eat - as I simultaneously watch the messy station. Daily I provide a sheet listing meals served, stories, fine motor, gross motor, craft/theme and individual interests(areas they were interested in most). I never watch tv however when our theme allows it I love a 5 min bbc you tube video on our topic- live polar bears video in their environment - awesome learning tool. Some children will learn quicker than others - it's the exposure to authentic learning environments that prepares the children.

I provide quality care but I am not a babysitter - I rarely sit - and really hate being referred to as one. In my opinion your rates should reflect the high end of daycare center fees. In a home the curriculum is tailored to specific children enrolled.

I pride myself in knowing the children that enroll as babies and leave for kindergarten Are prepared for the next phases of education. Parents have brought their children to formal prek at 4 and I'm very happy for them. I know I've done well and I am sad to see them go. Some children need a larger group of children. Home care of 6 and then attend kindergarten with 25 can be difficult.

Best of luck!