View Single Post
spud912 02:13 PM 08-13-2013
So I have a new crew and most are in diapers. However, the two older (2 1/2 years old) diapered children are more than ready.

One of these two is my daughter. Last weekend I did another attempt at half naked potty training (round 3....the other 2 rounds ended poorly and she obviously wasn't ready so I waited 3-4 weeks and tried again). Well, she is doing excellent with the potty training but the problem lies in putting clothes back on. When she is not wearing anything waist-down, she goes potty on her own very well. The second I put anything on (diaper, pull-up, panties, cloth training panties, pants without undies, etc), all bets are off. How do I get her to be trained and be decent from the waist down ?

The other 2 1/2 year old I believe is more than ready. During normal potty/diaper changing times, he will go to the bathroom, remove his pants, remove his diaper, put the soiled diaper in the trash, sit on the potty happily, I put his diaper on, then he puts his pants on by himself and washes his hands. Not only that, but he communicates very well and when asked will tell me if his diaper is dry, wet or soiled. He also wakes from nap time dry and will go for 2 hour spells without soiling his diaper. The parents report similar happenings at home. The only thing he HASN'T done is do his business in the potty (for me and his parents). His parents have said that they have tried him in briefs at home but he goes in them regardless and doesn't seem to mind. They have not tried to have him go naked (which I normally have pretty good success with, especially when they go potty in underwear willingly....helps them realize the difference).

I really would like to get him potty trained as well and am willing to go the extra mile to get it done....changing 4 diapers each time is a lot of work . I know his parents would be on board if I started something more proactive here, however they lead very busy lives and I think haven't had the time to really take the plunge to really get things moving at home. Plus, they only have him so it's not like they really feel the urge at this time to push it (whereas I do ). So ... have any of you started potty training proactively a dck with much success? What did you do to get the child to actually take that final step and urinate in the toilet?

Just to condense my 3 questions:
  1. How do you get a half-naked "potty-trained" child to also be potty trained with underwear on?
  2. Have any of you initiated potty training a dck successfully before the parents started?
  3. How does one get a child to actually urinate on the toilet versus just sit on it?