View Single Post
Joyfulnoise 03:35 AM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by 284878:
Thank you, I need a ghostwriter sometimes. I should have just cut it off when I found out about the napping issues. But instead, I tried to discourage her by recommending other providers. As you can see that did not work.

So this leads me to wonder if you are having an initial phone call with a parent and you find something out that you do not want to deal with, like non-napper, how do you politely say not going to happen?

Because I always try to change the subject by recommending/referring them to the state list of providers but that, I am finding, does not work. Then I just do not know what to do when they call back.
There's always the straight forward "It was a pleasure talking to you but unfortunately I don't feel my program would be a good fit for your family at this time."
I don't ever commit on a first conversation & I make sure they know that. The truth is you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Just present it like you are interviewing multiple families for one spot & you will get back with them once you've made a final decision to offer the spot. Then you have a day or two to consider any red flags. If they call back & you don't want to take them, "I'm sorry the spot is no longer available."