View Single Post
Laurel 07:04 PM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by DannieB:
I'm putting together my parent handbook and am wondering how some of you deal with religion in general. I do not want to emphasis any religious holidays or religious observances (prayer or other events that will distract from other children or require one-on-one attention). I feel all religious/spiritual needs are personal and should be between parent and child. Thank you
I am an atheist and didn't bring it up at all. My parents didn't know my beliefs and I didn't know theirs unless they just happened to mention it.

I do celebrate the holidays mostly because I have grandchildren and I just like the holidays although I don't do anything religious obviously.

I did have one parent who was a Christian but did not celebrate Halloween. She told me and so I didn't do much for Halloween. We just did fall activities and they made paper pumpkins and spiders but we didn't get into witches or ghosts or things like that. I just did it as a courtesy. It was pretty easy to avoid.

I had a parent or two invite me to their church over the years but I just said "Thanks, but I'm not really religious." Then no more was said about it. I figured I would just deal with each individual case if and when it came up. Nothing in my rules.

Laurel