View Single Post
Willow 10:58 AM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am the poster of the original post above this quote, first let me say that I am a former nurse and have had all the training you need to take care of a child,second I have had two children of my own,now have families of their own. I did not need any extra training courses to raise my own kids, I raised them just fine. Do you think that women need to be licensed to raise their own kids? I know that's a loaded question, but seriously, if a women can raise her own children, then why does she need to be licensed to care for others...I know this sounds ridiculous, but it just makes a point.

As far as the licensed daycare home being dirty, no that is not the case with every licensed daycare home, but in turn does that mean that all unlicensed daycare homes are unsafe or dirty ? No, it doesn't.

Some of us unlicensed providers just choose to only care for a few kids and not make it a career, but want to do it because we love the little ones. That does not make us bad people or not responsible. It does cost a lot to be licensed and for just taking a couple kids,from the same family, it is hard for people to afford to do updates on their homes to be licensed for one thing. If you plan on making it a career and have the money to do that , then go for it.

I just don't think it is fair to judge providers for whatever choice they make,whether they are licensed or not and how they advertise. It really is nobody's business on how we conduct our own daycare business, it is up to each provider to as how they do things and their choices. It is hard enough to find kids theses days anyway as many people are losing their jobs, money is tight and they are having to pull their kids out of daycare or look for cheaper ways of finding care.

So lets not nit pic about whether one provider is licensed or not and how they advertise. Initially it is up to parents to choose the right provider for their child and there preferences.

Naw, let's please nitpick some.

I happen to think it's great fun depending on the topic

CPR instruction has changed even in the last 5 years. Certification is only good for a year or two and for very good reason. Science discovers new bits about health and human biology all the time. As a nurse I would expect you to know that?? What was once considered best practice as far as breaths to compressions go is now considered outdated at best, dangerous at worst. You need to stay current if you expect to have the most relevant and best life saving techniques under your belt.

THAT ABSOLUTELY MATTERS TO THE CHILDREN IN ANYONE'S CARE.

When knowing and not knowing is literally a matter of life and death - YES. IT MATTERS.

While it was wonderful I took CPR in high school, what I was taught then is nothing like I'd ever do now. Most people are saved by CURRENT CPR practice than ever before. The reason for that? It's evolved drastically.

So unless you were a former nurse as in a year former, your training is no longer current and what you think you know as correct could in fact at this point be dangerous.

Second - no one is talking about needing a daycare license to raise kids, I have no idea where you're even pulling that from?? The topic is about operating a legal daycare (licensed or non). It's about providing day care for SOMEONE ELSE'S CHILDREN. Not raising. And no one said anything about your own. Heck, no one has said anything about you at all, so it's tough to understand why you keep trying to turn this topic in the direction of your life specifically.

In general, there is a heck of a lot more leeway when discussing what you can and cannot (or should not) do with your own kids as opposed to someone else's. Especially when it comes to the law. Break the law with your own kids, that's your own beef. Break the law with someone else's children and you're talking a whole different ball of wax there.

I don't particularly care if you believe that there is a difference between the two. Bottom line though is *any* illegal activity is just that - ILLEGAL. Whether you think it's for good reason the laws exist or not is moot.

On the mention of dirty homes YOU are the one that brought that up, not me. As if to imply licensed homes are by standard, filthy and the process itself holds no merit.

Basically that all providers that go through the process are morons. I thought it was a ridiculous notion and that's the only reason I addressed it.

When speaking of judgment your post was absolutely steeped in it.

The money thing is geographical and otherwise entirely a matter of perspective. I pay *nothing* for my daycare license unless you count the $50 background check. Everything else involved: my trainings, having a first aide kit, maintaining a safe home, keeping my fire extinguishers in working order etc. - are all things I consider necessary to keeping my own children and family safe anyway. I would do them regardless of daycare licensing protocol.