View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by SomeSimpleGuy:
My daycare is forcing my 6 and 3 year old children to nap for over 2 hours!

First , is this even legal?

Does anyone , anywhere make there children nap for that long?

Sometimes , I know they nap there for over 2 hours.

My wife doesn't seem to believe me, but I stop in unannounced , and am frequently dissapointed.

I think a 45 min to 1 hour nap is more than standard?

Please help me

Thank you in advance
I am sorry that you are frequently dissapointed in your child care and the services they are providing, however, this is an excellent example of why communication is extremely important between parents and providers.

You need to talk openly with your provider about what your expectations are. Are your child falling asleep and actually sleeping the full two hours or are they laying on their mats awake the entire time?

If they are actually sleeping the full time, they are obviously in need of a nap that long. If they are just laying there awake, it may be time to find other child care that better suits your childrens needs.

I also want to point out that the amount of time a 6 year old needs for nap and what a 3 year old needs for nap is probably very different.

Please communicate with you provider about this issue. Whether other providers have 2 hour, 4 hour or no nap time at all should make no difference in what YOUR children need. Whether others agree with your provider or with you should really have no bearing on this, as it is YOUR job as a parent to know your child's needs and find suitable care that meets those individual needs.

Not all providers have nap times and not all providers discourage drop ins during the day (including nap time). I hope you can work this out with your provider and do what is best for your children.