View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 10:48 AM 09-07-2014
I'm one of a dying breed here also.

I take TWO vacation days a year.... Thanksgiving day and Christmas Day...

I work weekends... Afternoons... And nights... Not on the same day lol.

Nobody here provides the type of care I provide. Which is disheartening because most single moms work as a waitress and non traditional shifts.

The only reason this type of care isn't offered is because most families have support from other family members who step in and help. Generally it's grandma because I'm speaking in general around here.. The dads are POOF GONE..

I offer CONTRACTED care... Scheduled only... But still require pay regardless. I do also offer drop in care and I save my fifth spot for that and generally get that a few times a month. I also do overnight for current or past clients only and I charge substantially for that availability.

What I've found over the years is that parents don't mind paying $60 for one overnight stent... But complain for having to pay $100 for five days of care. It seems to be acceptable to pay whatever is asked for party night but not for care while they work. At least that's been my experience.

The difference is... My kids are ONLY here during working hours for x amount weekly.. If they want to play... They pay... It works for me... And apparently it works for them too.