View Single Post
GuestParent 01:31 PM 03-19-2020
This is going to be a difficult situation all around.

As someone whose immediate income won't be affected, I'm happy to pay full fee (or close to it) for some reasonable period. In my mind, that is 2 - 4 weeks.

We are working remotely. The work is still there. In order for my income not to be affected, both my husband and I are working nights/evenings/weekends to get our hours in and using paid leave to make up the difference. (We aren't yet willing to hire a nanny/sitter due to wanting to limit exposure.) In addition to loving the stimulation / development / teaching that happens in care, the reason we pay a lot of $$ for childcare is because we cannot do this long term. We'll run out of paid leave and energy. I fear the closures are going to go on for 12-18 months. I cannot pay for childcare I can't use for that long, even if we both keep our jobs. I haven't made any decisions based on this fear yet.

Many parents are already suffering loss of income or know that it is imminent.

I hope the (forced) closures are shorter than I'm imagining. Very few parents will be able/willing to pay for months on end if you are closed (by choice or by law). I hope that the government comes up with an emergency plan to help childcare businesses stay afloat / survive if it extends out. I don't see any other reasonable solution that can work for both parents and providers. This is pretty unprecedented.