View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 02-23-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
This is where I disagree. Yes, there are alot of people out there like this, but not everyone. This is where I think people are only seeing what they want to see. Yes, I see a lot of self-centered and selfish people, but I also see alot of giving, loving, and caring people too. What is bothering me is that when everyone is talking about "How everyone is today" we are putting everyone in the same group, and saying everyone today is like this - selfish, self-centered, can't discipline, unconnected, etc. But everyone is not like this, just some. At least this is how I see things in my little corner of the world. I still have some hope.
When those that ARE like I described in my previous post are the majority that is when we (as a society) have a problem.

I am not talking about specific generations...I didn't take this thread as being about specific generations at all but more about society and parenting in general.

There are good and bad people in every group type. But it used to be that those that were self-centered and egocentric were the minority or the odd ducks but when the majority of those within a societal group become self-centered and egocentric, where does that leave those that are helpful, kind and empathetic? It leaves them in the minority. That sets the stage for a pretty unstable future when it comes to raising children.

So yes, I guess sometimes everyone gets painted with the same broad brush or the same set of ideas and while it isn't always 100% accurate, it's just the way it is sometimes...and those that truly feel they don't feel they fit into that description usually rise to the top and still do for others as they were taught/raised because it's the right thing to do. NOT because others will applaud them for it.

Just like daycare providers....parents will usually paint us all with the same broad brush but those of us that don't fit that description just keep doing what we do because it's the right thing to do.

Integrity. It's a rare trait now.

Mostly because there is no button for it....