View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think that you guys are forgetting what it was like to work outside the home. I don't mean that in a rude way but just to give you another perspective. I also, rarely take time away from my kids but sometimes I really need it--so, I get it. We wake up at 5am to hurry and get ourselves ready only to hurry and wake our poor kids up early to get them to daycare, drive a horrible traffic for an hour, work all day, drive in horrible traffic at night to pick up, make dinner, give baths and that whole time trying to make THE MOST of those 3 hours you have at night with your kid. Nonstop playing, interacting, reading, rocking, kissing and cuddling until 8:30 when you get them to bed. Then making lunches, cleaning the house (because you didn't do it when the kids were awake because you want to be with them), laundry only to finally collapse in your own bed at 10:30.

I know all you ladies work very hard so this isn't meant to be a put a down but working outside of the home is exhausting too. For most parents, when you work outside the home you try your best to absolutely maximize your time with them and the time they are sleeping is 100% spent on getting caught up on cleaning, bills etc. So you truly NEVER have downtime. When you work outside the home you don't have 15 mins here to throw in a load of laundry or 5 mins there to pick up toys. It all needs to be done in the evenings.

Again, I never take time away from my kids though I do need it sometimes.

Also, when you aren't doing something all day and getting good at it, it can be hard. You all work with kids all day, are great at it, so you might not think it is a huge deal to take 4 kids shopping at Target. But, you might think that it was really difficult to sit at a desk all day and juggle phone calls and excel spreadsheets and managing other people. You know? It is all what you are good at and get practice at.

Anyways, jsut wanted to offer another perspective.
Thank you. We need to see both sides. We need to understand that neither side has all the answers or the abilities to do everything.

I do think you are right about a working mom having a tough time taking her kids grocery shopping or whatever. Kids act differently for their parents and I can imagine it could be hard for some. Especially ones who may be young, inexperienced or simply stressed to the point that it IS so much work to do it that it is just easier to not do it and let the kids stay at daycare.

I also understand that it IS important for parents to have time away. Away from their children when they are not at work. Time to do things for you. If moms (and dads) aren't healthy and happy then they cannot be good parents.

I don't mind when parents leave their kids at daycare to do whatever. If they are cash paying, they can do whatever they want IMHO. I think the general complaint by providers though is about the parents who do it ALL the time. It isn't about you. It isn't about parents who occassionaly leave the kids but genuinely love them and WANT to be with them the majority of time. I think it is more about the parents who (you can tell which these are) really just don't want to deal with all the hard stuff parenting brings on. It is the parents who really do not want to raise their kids or do anything that makes it hard for them (the parent). Those are the ones providers are venting about.