View Single Post
Michael 01:55 PM 07-04-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
OK, my website is up, and I'm at the point of purchasing a domain name (Michael recommends GoDaddy- but I'm computer UNsavvy and have no idea how to connect it. I have found a place on wix where I can connect it for over 4 dollars a month, but I really don't want to do that. Do I connect it through GoDaddy some way? Is that what you are saying about "pointing it to"??? Anyone know exactly how to do this, because I DID do this once, but it was like 15 years ago..... I don't think my experience is any longer applicable.

If anyone wants to check out my website, here it is.... http://cpltskeeter.wix.com/kids-place-daycare

AND MICHAEL.... how do I get picked up on search engines? How often do they update their info? And how do I add tags to my webpage?

Also, thanks for the info on what to put in my domain name, Michael! That REALLY helps!
If wix allows you to add META TAGS you can add them but what really matters in SEO (search engine optimization) is your domain name words (MiamiDaycare.com) and the searchable words in your website TITLE and content. They should all coalesce in their logic. Having a name like LiliesAndLollipopsFuntime.com will NOT help you find parents looking for daycare.

Also, I notice many of you using FLASH websites. While these may look flashy they will NOT WORK IN iPAD, iPHONES and anything Apple!! That's a big deal.

You can save the $4 a month by using your domain name tools in your Godaddy account.

To FORWARD your website URL to your DOMAIN NAME at GoDaddy:

Once logged into your account, hover your mouse over the DOMAINS green button at the top left bar. You wil see MANAGEMENT >DOMAIN MANAGEMENT, click on that.

Click on your DOMAIN NAME listed in your registered domains area. At the top area you will see icons and one that looks like an arrow pointing right that reads FORWARD. Hover your mouse over it and click on that FORWARD DOMAIN.

In the next pop-up window click on EDIT and past your wix.com URL. Also click on the UPDATE MY DNS SETTINGS.

Click OK and your done. Give it several hours to propagate (network resolve).