View Single Post
Lucy 11:41 AM 05-26-2010
Here's what I'm wondering: Did you discuss any of this verbally with her before termination letter? I had a new girl start in April who's mom was told in the interview I close at 5:15. First week she came 5:30-5:50. Friday of that week I verbally said, "For this to work I really need her picked up by 5:15. I'd even be fine with 5:20." She has come at 5:10 ever since. I think if you had just mentioned about hiring the assistant and paying her for no reason and mention to her that the nap schedule just isn't working very well for me and could I maybe try to get him on a schedule that fits better in my daycare...etc. Basically, I'm asking was this TALKED about before you decided to terminate? If you just sprang the termination on the parent with zero discussion, I'd be miffed too if I were her.

My next comment, and this is assuming something was discussed verbally before you gave her the termination letter: I think you over-explained. I would just state that their varied schedule is just not working, and upon much reflection, you've decided to discontinue your contract with the family on X date (2 weeks from date of letter.) Don't go into lengthy explanation of what they did wrong and why it ticked you off. People don't take things well when it concerns their kids. Just stick to the brief facts, be totally professional and business-like, and be done with it. And in any further correspondence, I would never get argumentative. Just keep it on a business level (and think rotten things in your mind LOL). Also, I agree with the mom that the remaining balance due should have DEFINITELY been included in the termination letter.

All that being said, I do not blame you for terminating, and I'm not trying to be on the mom's side. You asked for constructive criticism, and I'm just being honest and saying what I have done in the past.

Basically... verbal communication first, then termination letter short and to the point including balance due.