View Single Post
MyAngels 10:54 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
A DCM called me just now. She told me that her son's father backed out on them and is no longer helping them out. As such, she said that she was really sad but she just couldn't afford daycare anymore. She told me that she'd be trying to find a different (higher paying) job, and trying legal means to get child support, and she would try to bring him back when she could.

I made a snap decision--I asked if there was anything I could do to help, maybe give her a break on the rate until she gets back on her feet. She said that she and the dad had each been paying half and that was really all she could afford. So, I offered to charge her only half for awhile until she gets back on her feet.

She was so grateful, I think she was almost in tears. I feel so good, being able to help a single mom out when she really needs it. It will be tough for us, as we are barely squeaking by as it is, but we do what we gotta do. Clients are hard to come by around here these days, and GOOD clients like this family are even harder to come by. I love the boy and he's been here for a year now.

If I worked for someone else, I wouldn't have been able to make that decision to help someone out who needs it, to do a kindness to someone in trouble. I have done my time working for a heartless large corporation...and I hated it. I like being a small business, I like helping out when it's warranted. I like being able to make decisions for myself.

(Besides, half the fee is way better than no fee.)
I've done something similar before - not quite a 50% discount, but a lower rate for a single mom. Not only did this girl turn into one of my best families ever (she eventually remarried and had more children, all paying market rate), but she has referred several equally good families to me.

Good for you for making a decision that you are comfortable with, and for helping someone out just because you can. I do believe that what goes around, comes around, and at some point your kindness will be repaid.