View Single Post
mac60 03:52 AM 12-15-2010
I just lost a family that I "helped out" by giving them a lower rate, by letting them only come 2 days instead of 3 like my policy states. Someone my daughter works with needed care for 2 girls. She had called me 2 times prior asking about me caring for her girls, then backed out. She called a 3rd time, and I started caring for them 2 days per week for $55 per week, 2 girls 2 days per week. I lowered her rate by $5. They lasted 2 1/2 months. Then I got the sad story......Christmas is coming, can't afford daycare, but after the first of the year they may call back and come back. They had never paid daycare before me, Grandma watched the girls for free for 4 years. During the weeks they were here, I turned away 2 potential families because I didn't have room for them. I was livid. I gave this family a break in their days and their rate, and in the end they didn't care, they dumped me for free care again.

I learned my lesson on this one. To never give someone a discount due to a sob story. They drive a Prius (electric/gas) and I know those arn't cheap. They both have jobs, she didn't think twice about me, it is always about them.

I will never again turn away a potential interview because I "don't currently have room". In the future I will term someone that only needs me 2 or 3 days a week for a fulltimer. And I won't give discounts again. We have been struggling with unemployment in this house for over a year, and no one feels sorry for us, and I haven't raised anyones rates......I have had families buying $250,000 homes, $35,000 vehicles, take nice vacations, etc. I have learned to look out for myself at this point.

Sorry, didn't mean to stray....Soooo, if it is a potential fulltime family, I would consider lowering the rate by maybe $10 per child. That would be liveable.

My rates are FT $85 for 1 and $135 for 2. Pathetic I know. But normal for home daycare here.