View Single Post
Chuckles 06:55 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Thanks! I'm surprised you say that tho. I was under the impression from reading all the guidelines that I would be expected to have centers and be set up like a daycare. I already meet all the safety guidelines and more bc in my opinion what they require is just common sense.

But I do the playing/toys set up a little differently bc I believe in the environment as the third teacher and I believe that children need to play in an uncluttered, peaceful environment so I keep all my sets of toys upstairs and we go up there, the kids pick what they want to play with. If they get bored or change their minds we pick it up and trade it for something else. Everything stays organized and the kids learn to respect my materials while also appreciating order. I guess I figured the state wouldn't go for that but it really works for us!
The standards don't dictate how you arrange things in child care homes so long as they don't present a safety hazard. The only problem with your arrangement if you were to be registered or licensed is the going upstairs part. The standards require anyone operating above or below ground to have written permission from a fire marshal. I don't know how likely people are to get that for homes because of the evacuation risks. I think it is great to rotate toys so the children don't get bored.