Thread: No Appreciation
View Single Post
professionalmom 06:35 PM 06-17-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't ever deal with schedules like that. I don't keep kids for more than nine hours. If you have a young child and you need to work then you have to figure out how you can fit school into that without making it so that you litterally don't have your kid at all during the working week except for overnight. It doesn't pay to advance your education when you are giving up nearly all of their childhood awake time by doing it.

I have had a few single parents who have tried to do work and school both but never full time for both. Even ones with part time additional school or work it usually failed. The ones who were successful with school only had school.

I get someone trying to improve their lives with education but I don't get someone having a child in care 16 hours a day 5 days a week. It can't work out even if you have the best day care on the planet.
You are very right about those long hours. What was really bad was that the DCB I mentioned only came 4 days a week (15 hr, 12 hrs, 15 hrs, & 4 hrs) because that maxed out the highest number of hours our state allows for subsidy. The mom would have had to pay for all the overtime hours (which she couldn't afford). So on the other days, he stayed with a relative. Maybe that is one of the reasons DHS puts a max of 90 hours every 2 weeks for subsidy. I never thought of it that way. Maybe they are trying to limit the amount of time parents are away from their kids. It really is sad for the kids though.