View Single Post
Unregistered 03:20 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I empathize- I'm a parent living in Philadelphia and my daycare has closed a ton this season, while I still have to work (I'm in a field that cannot close for any reason- I supervise "essential personnel"). I get that I'm paying for a spot- not that I'm thrilled about it.

The only time I was really annoyed and felt that I deserved some sort of refund was when Sandy hit and the daycare was closed for a week and a half for power outages. That's a long time to be closed and we were struggling to find care, and I was even more annoyed when I found out the teachers didn't get paid for that time.
What do you propose the DCP should have done, take your children during power outages? She is not allowed. Sandy is an act of God, and no one's fault. Sometimes, the act of irritation shows ungratefulness. Perhaps, the act of God and the lack of power and heat affected more than just your family. For example: The food she bought FOR YOUR (and other's) child(ren) probably went bad and she'd have to rebuy it. Perhaps there was damage to the center where YOUR child goes, and so they had to pay for THAT instead of the teachers. People only look at what affects them, and not the bigger picture that maybe you didn't see, that affects EVERYONE. Consider your weekly fee a donation that made sure she could open after that week and a half by being able to go back to the store and replace all the food, to make sure that the power could come back on, to fix any damage that the storm caused and be grateful you weren't one who lost their home and have to rebuild---and didn't have flood insurance, or didn't have enough money for their deductible...you are not the only one a devastation like Sandy or Katrina affected, so stop acting like it was all about you. YOU were struggling to find care. Well, everyone else was struggling TOO.