View Single Post
Star’s Mommy 06:24 PM 03-01-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
She sounds, um, *speshull*. Sounds like she is accustomed to advertising her breastmilk this way.

I have had many mom's try to withhold milk for various reasons.

• Some so the baby would be tired (from crying) and hungry at pickup so that one solid feeding would have them sleeping through the night.
  • Some so they could meet their social media groups "breast feeding story" trends, social gratification. (yes, really)
  • Some, because they are supplementing their income by selling their "mothers gold" online.
  • Some, because their milk is drying up and their social media/social circle depends on extending this stage of life, emotional gratification.
  • Some, because their milk is drying up and they think they can't afford formula.
  • Some, because they can't afford formula.
  • Some sell their state provided formula for groceries and rationalize it is ok because they are making breastmilk with it, even if not enough.

My solution to all of the above is to offer formula as part of my meal schedule and tuition. I call it supplementation, then just make it a normal part of the day when solids are introduced. Breast milk, first, then formula with meals.

For the ones who will not provide more breastmilk and refuse to give permission for formula, I remind them that I am a mandated reporter and ask for a doctors note to support their preferred feeding plan. Most comply, then. The one who did not did end up with a long term caseworker.
Thank you for your reply. I think you’re spot on with the reasoning. Sadly, she’s very involved in social media groups on Facebook and Instagram and often quotes things she reads on her group pages. They can definitely afford formula, but I offered to buy some anyways after failed attempts of asking her to supply more milk/food. She looked at me as if I was insane and snapped back that breastmilk is best and he is getting all he needs and I am not to supplement in any way. As for the absence of a nap, she told me he doesn’t need to nap at my house because he sleeps for 1-2 hours on the ride home at 4:30/5pm... And he’s slept through the night since he was 3 months old. I find this hard to believe, but she is sticking to that story.