View Single Post
Hazel 05:05 PM 12-07-2012
Oh my! So many things I'm reading are giving me flash back nightmares! I have a bachelors degree in Early childhood ed. I was kindergarten teacher, group supervisor for the 4 oldest classrooms and I made $1 more than everyone else (who only made minimum wage!) for my efforts. I had no sick time, no vacation time, no discount for my own child (yes, I had to get subsidized daycare,) and was elidgible for food stamps. I also did not get medical benefits EVER at any childcare center i worked at. I had to clean my own classroom at night. Vacuum, mop, clean mini kitchen and bathrooms.... That didn't include weekly cleaning of all the toys and the general straightening up that comes along with closing up your room for the night! They want everything from you to make THEMSELVES look awesome, but then they say youre using more than your allotment for snack food for the week, or you are using too much paper or glitter, or whatever.
With all the stress created by a frustrating work environment (having to train a new assistant every 3 months, children AND parents with behavior issues, burned out and frustrated coworkers and overly demanding directors and owners) its no wonder people quit!
I remember a parent asking something of me once that not only was against policy but way above and beyond the call of duty.. When I explained the policy part, she YELLS "well, what am I paying so much money for?"
Oh man how I wanted to yell right back "do you have ANY IDEA how LITTLE I make of THAT money?" but you can't do that... You just apologize, nod, agree and apologize again..
When my youngest was born I opened a legally unlicensed Child care service in my home. I REFUSED to put my baby in a center! I know most teachers (including me) do it bc we love kids, but I know how it can be.... Poorly paid, unappreciated and burned out teachers that are victims of a bad system.. A good teacher will work tirelessly to protect her babies from it all, coming in with a smile everyday and a hug for everyone, but some just can't... That's why they leave